Friday, March 20, 2009

Location, Location, Location?

Upon return from our extraordinary New York experience, we started talking about what it would take to relocate. I would potentially have greater opportunities as a musician and composer, and the city is just a wonderful place to be. We talked about selling cars and finding resources about where we would want to live in the city. And then it hit me: This doesn't directly serve any of the intentions I have claimed for myself.

Sure, the city would give me opportunities to hear music that I don't currently have, and I may be able to make a full career out of accompanying. But my goal is to create a life in which I am unfettered by location and schedule so that I have the space to compose. Sometimes, when I want something to be different in my life, I look for something to change. "If I start working there, I'll be happier." "If I move to that place, life will be better."

I forget that I've already staked a claim for what I want in life, and it has to do with who and how I want to be. It has to do with the kind of things I can do anywhere, if I put my mind to it. I would love to be able to visit New York and the friends I have there as often and for as long as I like. But the desire to move there is a clever distraction from the things I really want to create. What a great distraction, though!

2 comments:

  1. You're right to proceed with caution and to keep your goals clearly before you. Dreaming of New York is one thing; actually residing in New York is its own kind of distraction, from which the only escape is moving somewhere else.

    On the other hand, that's why New Yorkers -- and I still number myself among them -- get so cocky, when we do accomplish something. "Do you realize what I endured? The discipline I had to exercise?" There are several reasons we say, "If I can make it there, I can make it anywhere." But much depends on what you want to make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In recognizing that what I want to create is not dependent upon a specific geography (in fact is in direct opposition to having a specific geography), I am somewhat liberated and refocused. New York is indeed a great city, but it's true that living there doesn't directly feed into my goals. At this time.

    ReplyDelete